The RACP is pleased to announce that it will be running the Evolve Webinar Series in 2021. Join us every third Tuesday of the month to explore interesting topics related to reducing low-value practices and improving the quality and safety of healthcare.
The COVID-19 pandemic presents an unprecedented challenge to the capacity of health care systems and providers around the world. Now, more than ever, stewardship of limited resources is critical.
In response, Choosing Wisely Canada developed this list of recommendations with input from international leaders to raise awareness about the need to use limited health care resources wisely.
Developing Evolve Recommendations
Evolve is a partnership between the RACP and specialties. The movement provides a trusted process for each Specialty to remain up-to-date with the latest evidence. The development of Evolve ‘Top-Five’ recommendations is:
- Fellow-led, collaborative, evidence and consensus-based
- flexible – guided by agreed criteria, the process allows for adaptability in approach and pathways tailored to Specialties, and
Tips on implementing Evolve
Evolve aims to support physicians to safely and responsibly phase out low-value tests, treatments and procedures where appropriate, provide high-value care to patients based on evidence and expertise, and influence the best use of health resources, reducing wasted expenditure.
There are several ways you can help implement Evolve ‘Top-Five’ recommendations in your workplace, including:
Don’t forget you may be able to claim some of your Evolve activities as CPD. Check against the MyCPD Framework.
- Order Evolve merchandise and collateral for your next event to share the word.
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Join the Evolve Policy Reference Group and help shape and drive the Evolve initiative (email firstname.lastname@example.org to join).
- Be a part of developing your Specialties Top 5 Recommendations.
- Make recommendations a routine part of clinical handovers.
- Include recommendations in education sessions like grand rounds, workshops, clinical case reviews, team meetings and more.
- Undertake a clinical audit and feedback project on a recommendation.
- Build your skills to enable them to participate in joint decision making with their patients, or have difficult discussions with their colleagues or supervisor.
- Engage hospital management in implementing the recommendations across the health service.
- Discuss the recommendations with referring doctors and your multidisciplinary care team.
- Encourage organisational and department Evolve Champions to help drive change.
- Undertake research on Evolve and implementation of Evolve recommendations
- Share your experiences, ideas and challenges with us and other physicians.